Sunday, December 6, 2009

Not-so-Cultured Kid (Part II)

I went to Art Basel in Miami this past Sunday afternoon. I saw so many things, it is hard to remember. Someone said the walls of the exhibit amount to the circumference of the earth in length. I believe it. I felt like an outsider looking in. Not in a bad way. I wanted to know and understand what I was seeing, yet there was little time, and scarce information given. I often found myself more intrigued by the crowd than the art work. There were so many beautiful and interesting-looking people. Where are they from? Are they artists themselves? What’s it like to be part of this subculture? Were they born into it? It all seems rather inaccessible and intimidating.

“It’s an elevator. You start going down and you keep going down and you can’t get off. But you can’t kill energy. It keeps on going.” An older blond woman with thick -rimmed glasses philosophized as we peered down into a piece constructed of mirrors and neon lights that spelled “DEATH”. An optical illusion, it seemed to go miles and miles into the earth.

Favorite Piece: Tree Constructed of Metal, Paper Mache, Feathers, and Thread
Photobucket
Unusual Piece: Moving Heads Constructed of I Really have no Idea
Photobucket
Animated Piece: Dark but Charming film by Brent Green (His display marked the first time a living self-taught artist had been given a solo exhibition at Art Basel Miami Beach.)


For the record, Beethoven lived in Vienna, not Salzburg. Thank you, Stephan.

I don't have the artists' names for the first two pieces. I understand this is lame. I'm sure artists do not like not-so-cultured kids like me.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. No self-respecting artist would live in Salzburg of his or her own free will. ;)

    I always go to museams or exhibits when I'm a tourist. I never seem to find the time for it during my normal routine...

    ReplyDelete