Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Sweat the Small Stuff (Part II)

I spent a delightfully rainy after noon at Tate's Comics about two weeks ago. Located off University Dr., the bottom floor of the store is dedicated to comic books and related items (hence the name). Bear and Bird Boutique+Gallery overlooks everything from a small loft above, and offers odd and eclectic treasures.

I browsed the Small Stuff collection hosted by Bear&Bird. There were less pieces than I had imagined. It was initially a small collection, and many pieces had been sold by the time I went. Most of them were comic oriented, which isn't exactly my thing, but might have been expected considering the venue.

I enjoyed myself and ended up buying the little piece below by Valentina Ramos. It is a 6x6x1 inch canvas and has an interesting texture as the artist covered the canvas in a collage of maps and newspaper clippings before drawing and painting over it. The ink beta fish swims in layers of blue water color. When I got the piece home and unwrapped it, I found a tiny label on the back with the title "I know where I'm going," an ironic statement at this very indecisive juncture in my life. Appropriately, the piece has found it's happy home just to the left of my front door.

The staff was so down-to-earth and excited I bought a piece of art. They were even more elated when I told them I read about their boutique in Go! magazine (Air Tran's poorly edited attempt at in-flight entertainment) while traveling. Their positive, indie, nerd energy was infectious.

I drove home quite contented. It felt most satisfying to support a family-owned and operated indie business, as well as a local artist.

www.tatescomics.com

They are always having interesting events. Follow them on their blog.

Click to check out the rest of Valentina Ramos' beautiful collection.

Photobucket


Photobucket
The fish with an ironclad grasp on his future.

7 comments:

  1. maps? As in "I'm lost, let me take a look at my map of the city"? I don't see anything there that remotely resembles a map... except for the water, I suppose. How large is the piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, maps. As in geographical guides. You can't tell unless you look veryyyyyy closely or look at the canvas from the back. I'll add another picture and try to be a little more descriptive :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how she did it? Is it a series of layers with pieces cut out laid on top of eachother? Or smaller cut-out pieces laid next to and upon one another? Excuse the interrogation, but I'm interested in how she created something so traditional looking ( but which probably has a unique texture, which I can't fully appreciate through photos ) through somewhat less traditional means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are rectangular strips cut and layered. The texture I spoke of is very subtle. If you click to view the rest of her collection, you might get a better visual.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thank you so much for buying my artwork :)Hope you enjoy it. Happy Holidays

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know this place existed. I will have to go check it out. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really think you would like it, Moriah. And Valentina, you're totally welcome, although I have no idea how you found me. Blogspot is magical.

    ReplyDelete